In the beginning, I paused every few months and wrote about what I’d learned so far about creating art, and about myself. Just 1 post shy of 300 posts I decided to reflect again. Here is what I’ve learned on my creative journey:
- There are ups and downs in a creative practice. Stick with it through the down times, an up time is coming, and you never know how high you’ll climb.
- Practice does make (almost) perfect.
- Accountability motivates you to get stuff done.
- You can retrain yourself to embrace better work habits.
- There is character and style to the “imperfect.”
- Share what you create, don’t create to share.
- Those beautiful Instagram posts only tell a sliver of a story. Don’t fall into comparing yourself.
- Interviews with other creatives tell much more of the story, and can be very real, and very inspiring. I love listening to podcasts.
- It takes time and work to develop your style.
- Capture the moments when you feel inspired – snap a photo or jot down a note, for later.
- Don’t wait for inspiration to strike or a plan to form, sit down and start creating, and things will start to unfold.
My other “lessons learned” posts:
What have you learned on your journey?