This watercolor painting project is a new spin on a my original birch forest painting tutorial. The woodland creatures – an owl, a fox and a bunny – make this new beginner project fun for all ages!
It’s easier than it looks! The final painting may look complex but the instructions – with photos – walk you through the entire project step by step. It’s a great project for home schooling, for a group, or even painting on your own.
Watercolor techniques used:
- Masking areas with tape
- Wet on wet painting
- Dry on dry painting
- Painting layers
Supplies you’ll need:
- Watercolor paper. I use 9” x 12” Arches 140 lb. cold pressed paper.
- Painter’s tape
- Watercolor paint. Colors: orange, yellow, cobalt blue, black
- Paint brushes – 3 round (1 thick, 1 medium, 1 thin) and 1 flat.
- Container of water
- Paper Towel
- Palette for mixing paint with water. You can use a plastic lid or the top of a plastic egg carton.
The printable pdf instructions are available in my Etsy shop here.
Let me know if you try it – I’d love to see!
Ready to get started in watercolor? The “Beginner Watercolor Exploration Guide” is for you!
- Learn the fundamentals.
- Practice with exercises & projects.
- Discover a love of watercolor!