This Fields of Green Watercolor Painting Project will get you in the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day and take you on a “visit” to Ireland!
Beginner Watercolor Painting Idea for St. Patrick’s Day
Ireland is said to have “40 Shades of Green” and in this beginner watercolor project we’ll use as many shades as possible! Beginner friendly! Step by step tutorial with photos walks you through painting this Irish landscape.
In this tutorial you’ll learn:
- Masking with tape
- Painting fades
- Painting layers
- Painting dry on dry
- Using gouache – more opaque than watercolor
In addition to learning all these techniques – you’ll have a beautiful final painting when you are done!
Supplies you’ll need:
- Watercolor paper. I use 9” x 12” Arches 140 lb. cold pressed paper. Trim to 9” x 11” to create a painting that works well in a 8” x 10” mat.
- Painter’s tape – 1” wide
- Watercolor paint. Colors: shades of green and/or blue and yellow for mixing greens (a touch of red can be added too), blues for sky (turquoise or other blue) and ocean (prussian or ultramarine blue), black, and orange (can mix with yellow and red) AND…
- Gouache – White Gouache (Gouache can go over watercolor. It is less translucent.)
- Paint brushes – 1 large round brush – #6, one thin round brush – #1
- Container of water
- Paper Towel
- Palette for mixing paint with water and mixing colors. Use a plastic lid or the top of a plastic egg carton.
- Pencil, eraser (kneaded is best), ruler and scissors
- Scrap of paper. Always test color mixes before touching your painting with your brush.
For a list of brands I use visit: https://mycreativeresolution.com/supplies/
Download the Tutorial
For more Seasonal Art Project Ideas:
More St. Patrick’s Day Art Projects
- How to Draw a Leprechaun Tutorial
- St. Patrick’s Day Paper Quilt Making Kit
- Ireland Coloring Pages – make your own book!